Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The only person happy about house prices

The guy across the road has a very similar house to ours - in fact, almost all the houses on this street are almost the same, because we all bought House & Land packages built by one particular builder.

Anyway, the guy across the road put his house up for sale about 2 weeks ago, and I was pretty excited to see a big "SOLD" sticker across the board when I got home from work this afternoon. Why? It's because I had a nosey on realestate.com.au the other day and saw it was up for $320,00 - $340,000 and I'm hoping the fact it sold after two weeks means he got atleast $320k for it. This is good news. Great news in fact!

I know for a fact that his house is the 3 bedroom version of our 4 bedroom + study home. Sure, this means there's less block available for gardens, decking, pergolas etc... but we still have all three of those, whereas he has a pergola and dead grass with a couple of trees.

So... I'm hoping this means our place is worth $320k... at least. We paid $280,000 for the house in 2007, so the prospect of our home value going up $40k is very exciting to me! Granted, we still owe $260k on the house, but that means we potentially have $60k of equity in the home. Very. Very. Cool.

P.S Tuesday was a designated spend day, but the only thing I spent money on was paying bills that were due - Feels so good that it's almost Thursday and I haven't spent a cent of my allowance. I don't plan on spending any tomorrow either. I didn't buy petrol because I have enough to last me till next Monday (which is not a NSD as it's a public holiday and I will be away) and I didn't buy groceries because we bought so many at the market on Sunday. Feels good to have spent nothing all week.

0 comments: