Thursday, March 19, 2009

Books, CDs & DVDs

When I mentioned buying Eclipse the other day, asgreen from Always The Planner asked a very valid question: "Why not get it at the library?". Hmmmm... why don't I? I mean, I'm currently not a member at any library but that doesn't mean I can't be.

I jumped online and saw that there's a library right near my work - they even have Eclipse there! It is currently on loan and there's a reserve list for it, but I can wait! I mean... free is better than $24 even if I have to wait a month or so! PLUS think about all the other books that I can read in the mean time...

I have shelves of books that I've read a couple of times, I should really sell them on ebay or something. Of course I'll hold onto the ones I love to re-read, but there are a STACK which I probably wouldn't even miss.

Unfortunately I can't do this with my music or DVDs. I love CDs. I love the format, I love the covers, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. For some reason I don't trust the idea of putting all on my computer and then potentially selling them. What happens if my laptop dies? Or my back up gets fried? I'll have nothing! That worries me... I have, between Mr M and I, a good... hmmm... 300+ CDs? Even if I sold them for $5 each, that would be $1500. And some of them I'm sure I could get more for. They're still $30 in the shops, and I generally keep my CDs in top condition! Geez that's almost tempting.

If I sold my 200+ DVD collection I'd get a bit for that too. Geez, I better stop thinking about this. I'm not DESPERATE for money. It's not like I'm homeless.

I'm keeping the CDs and DVDs... but the books... hmmm the books I might sell!

1 comments:

asgreen said...

Thanks for the link! I love my local library. I can have any book I like sent to my local library and just pick it up during lunch at work. It's great.

I sold a bunch of old textbooks on amazon.com and did pretty well. The best part about it though is that I cleaned up clutter. Of course there are some books I would NEVER part with.