Thursday, March 26, 2009

12 weeks into the year

I've been tracking our spending all year (except our allowance/fun money) and I thought it might be interesting to see how much we've spent in 12 weeks:

Groceries: $1190.08
Fuel: $487.79
Credit card debt: $3447.37
Dog food+Cat food+grooming/worming: $638.48
Mobile phones: $560.64
Mortgage: $5593.25

We're approaching the end of the 1st quarter, 12 weeks into the year, and what surprises me the most is how much we've spent on our animals! That's not a completely thorough account because I know that I've bought toys and cat food out of my allowance. I can safely expect to spend over $2,500 on animal costs this year. Wow. This doesn't include a new outdoor bed that they need. We haven't bought a new one since getting our 2nd dog, so they squish onto the one designed for just our boy - it's a bit cosy now that our girl has hit 22kg!

You may think this seems like a lot of money on pet supplies, so I would just like to mention that we feed our dogs and my cat Eukanuba -$110 for a 15kg bag of dog food, $40 for a 3kg bag of kitty food - and i got my cat groomed this summer which cost $100! We've talked about potentially feeding them a lower quality food like Supercoat or Optimum but we're really happy with how they look and the results we get so we probably will feed them Eukanuba for as long as we can afford it! Is this silly???

1 comments:

KB said...

Just noticed you started following me on twitter; I look forward to going back through and reading your archives - great to find other Aussie PF bloggers, particularly ones around my age.

I'm not allowed pets where I live, and although I drool over www.dailypuppy.com each day, I know financially it's probably a good thing I don't have any pets!